Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Whoo Doggie!

(To quote my father)



It has been a while, hasn’t it?  

Sorry to leave you hanging like that…I meant to jump right back into writing when we jumped right back into life…but then we jumped right back into life. And had the week we had and that just didn’t happen.  We had yet another doozie of a trip back up here that totally wiped us out…and then Little t got sick the day after we got home, so being up with him all night for two nights totally wiped us out even more. 

And then it was the workweek!

A jumped head-first back into budgets and proposals and meetings and deadlines. I got sick and tried to keep up with Little t who was feeling better in spurts. He would go from super clingy to don’t touch me to wailing on the floor to laughing hysterically every 5 minutes. Needless to say, it was a challenge to keep up with.  He has seemed more like himself today and we are all thankful for that.

Now we are deep in Thanksgiving preparation mode. Like the pumpkin pie and one of the appetizers and a few other things are made, the turkeys are butchered (all 5 kilos of them) and 17 people are coming over tomorrow deep.  It should be a good time and we are excited for it. 

So needless to say, we have been back a week, but it feels like longer than that! 

We had a great time out.  We usually find that while we are here on the ground, we don’t realize how much we will benefit from a break until we get out and look at each other and say, “I am so glad we are out of there for a while!” I think that is a good thing? Not sure, but it is what it is.  We are pretty focused while we are here and I guess that is good. But let me tell you…once we got to Dubai, we were SO happy. Like, I walked into our hotel and started crying happy.

We didn’t do a ton there…I will write another post about the trip when I have more time, but we had a great time.  Little t loved the freedom to walk and run around…let’s be honest, we all did.  I walked whole three blocks to the grocery store by myself, without my head covered, when it was DARK.OUT.  Wow. I almost panicked when I came out of the store…but told myself that I was just fine, that I was a big girl and could walk the three whole blocks back to the hotel. And I did. And lived to tell about it.  All in all, it was a great trip.
Our week in the capital after was good as well…we made some fun new friends, had a great time catching up with old ones at the conference we were at and all got a nasty virus, so we can’t complain! Kidding kidding…sort of!

So, now we are back and tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  I have been a slight pouty-pants the last few days. I have really been wishing we could be home with our families…or just enjoy my mom’s cooking instead of going to all the work myself?!?  And I have pouted about first-world problems like not being able to make A’s favorite corn cassarole or pecan pie, and our turkey weighing a whole 5 pounds, and a crabby kid and slow internet and being overwhelmed with the amount of guests we have in the next few weeks…

But today as I puttered away in the kitchen, God kept bringing to mind memoires and realizations of how good He is to me and to those around me. I just thought through time after time in my life where I have been so richly blessed by His abundance and care and provision and faithfulness and…and…the list goes on and on. I was stopped in my tracks and deeply humbled as I realized how much I have.  What a good God He is. 

So, the next few days will be crazy busy, and we will only eat regular corn, and maybe each get only a bite of turkey, and miss time with our families like crazy. But we will revel in what we DO have. A warm home, more than enough food, work that we love (even when we hate it), each other and a very very faithful God.

Be blessed this weekend and bask in His goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment