Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Guess He Does Know...

I would be lying if I said, I wasn't slightly resentful toward the fact that we are losing our house.  I mean, come on, we love our house! We take good care of it. It is the perfect size for us. We have worked hard on the yard and garden. And it would have been a WHOLE lot easier to just pack some stuff away and leave for the States than completely pack up the house.  But hey, as if we don't have any other fun in our lives, we are moving for the third time in 14 months!

And I have had to check my attitude a few times when it comes to the owners of the house and the state in which we are leaving it.  All of our local friends tell us how horrible the owners are and how much of a dump the house was before our organization started renting it a few years back.  They are convinced the landlord will let it fal down around him once more and that kinda ticks me off.  I hate to say it, but I have adopted the local attitude when it comes to packing up and leaving this property.

The local attitude is that you take anything that is not cemented down if you had something to do with putting it there.  So, doors you put in, you yank them out!  Awnings you installed for shade, you take them down. The tree house?  It comes with you. Kitchen counters? There is no way they are left behind!  Mirrors? They can buy their own stinkin mirrors! I spent a whole dollar on this one and will not part with it!

Lovely, right?

Well, because I was resentful, I kinda fell into this mentality...which I don't believe is good.  And my attitude soured with each box I packed.

So, when the landlord showed up at 6 pm tonight with his wife and wanted her to talk to me, I was not thrilled.

I invited her in and shoved a pile of boxes and toys off of the cushion for her to sit down.  She declined saying she couldn't stay long. I breathed a sigh of relief and didn't even offer her tea...because I had packed everything for tea the day before.

Her first words were, "Wow! Why is your house such a mess?"

I shot a poison look her way as I said, "Because we have to move out! Remember, you are cutting off our contract?"

Her eyes lit up and I could hear a glimmer of hope in her voice as she asked, "You are really moving out?  When? How soon?"

I was slightly frustrated with this...because everyone had told us this would happen.  Everyone warned that we would pack up our stuff and get ready to move and then they would change their minds.  I was pretty sure that was coming and I wasn't pleased about it.

I told her that we were leaving on Wednesday morning and the house would be empty then.  Her eyes danced with hope and I realized that she was happy we were leaving. So much for just calling our bluff.

She stated that they would move in on Wednesday morning then, right after we were out.  She quickly explained that their house had collapsed in the rain a week or so ago and they were really struggling. They had tried to repair it, but because the damage was extensive and the rain had continued to fall since then, they hadn't been successful.

Suddenly, I was feeling guilty for giving her the poison look, for letting the rabbit chew on the door (the local mentality had set in and I gave up caring one night), for having such a horrible attitude towards this family.

We chatted for a few minutes and she thanked me before leaving.  A.P. discussed things with the husband and off they went, back to their collapsed house, but with light at the end of their dark tunnel.

I marveled at God's hand in this. I have been frustrated with having yet another place taken from us. I have been resentful towards these people I didn't even know.  I have been questioning God's move in all of this (allowing us to lose this yard really puts us in a bind if/when another family arrives).

But He knew that this family would need a house.

He knew when we would be leaving.

He knew that I needed a kick in the pants because my attitude was deeply lacking grace.

He is just good at knowing things like that.

Trust in the Lord and do good,
Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Trust also in Him and He will do it. 
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light
And your judgement as the noonday.

Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way.
Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. 
Cease from anger and forsake wrath;
Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.
For evildoers will be cut off;
But those who wait for the Lord, they will inherit the land.
Psalm 37: 3-9

No comments:

Post a Comment