Monday, April 4, 2011

Read this...please?

Here I am again...deferring you to other things to read instead of writing anything myself...

We are tired - it has been a long few days. I will write about it soon. Let's just say it has been a long few days of doing nothing and sometimes that is what makes us the most tired.  So tonight we ate supper, watched a little t.v. and sat in front of our computers and just stared at them.  Well, A actually did something productive. Me...not so much... story of our lives.

Anyway, A wrote a really good post on his blog here that you should read.  It will make you think.

I also liked what this article had to say about unrest these days over the burning of the Qu'ran...especially the part I have copied and pasted below.  This is so far out of a Western way of thinking, but this mindset is the reality we deal with EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. and I will write a whole different post on that (hopefully) soon.


"In speaking with Afghans about the incident, it’s surprised me how many people support the spirit of the protests. No one I’ve talked to supports the killings of the UN workers. But even well-educated, informed Afghans tell me that it’s good that people are speaking out against the desecration of the Quran.
Much of the support stems from the inability of many people here to contextualize the March 20 Quran burning. A translator who works for a fellow journalist here in Kabul did not know that Florida pastor Terry Jones was the same person who threatened to burn the Quran last September.
This led to the perception that many Americans share his beliefs, even if he heads a small church of about 30 people who have so little support that they’ve had to sell their furniture on eBay to stay afloat. Mr. Jones is now trying to sell the church property.
In a place like Afghanistan, where the vast majority of the populace is illiterate and many lack regular access to reliable news outlets, perception and rumors often become more important than facts. Now that the story of the Quran burning has spread, it almost does not matter how strongly US officials – from President Barack Obama to Gen. David Petraeus – condemn Jones’s actions. The damage has been done."
I feel the need to summarize this somehow...but I am too tired. So I will go to bed instead. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm a friend of Tara and Troy Livesay--Tara introduced me to your blog and your husband's blog. I love reading what you write. When I heard about the Qu'ran burning I thought of you guys. I'm sorry that the actions of a few here in America are again having such an effect on your life and the lives of those your care about. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on all of this.

    ReplyDelete