Friday, September 9, 2011

A Good Good Day


This post is a day late...just because I was lazy yesterday!
Yesterday was my birthday and it was great. We celebrated as a family the night before – roasted chicken bought from the bazaar, Cilantro Citrus Pasta and a little bit of family t.v. time. We put Little t to bed and then A once again displayed his stellar gift choosing abilities by wowing me with a load of new music he had picked out for me and a chain for my necklace (Little t accidentally broke the last one).  We then danced the night away on Dance Dance Revolution. We laughed a lot and sure cut a rug!  He pulled out another gift at the end of the night that took my breath away, but I will have to take pictures of it before I share what it is…it is way to special to just say what it was. 
Yesterday morning, Little t slept in which was a great gift! That and the two clods of dirt he brought me from outside showed his thoughtfulness! We did the usual morning thing with breakfast, laundry, cleaning, time outside, etc.  Little t only escaped over to the office yard twice and thoroughly entertained kAkA and I with his one-man-band show!  He and his tambourine are quite entertaining and we were both laughing hard. 
A came home for lunch and after getting Little t down for his nap we started cooking.  As I said in an earlier post, the rest of our team was returning from summer vacations, so we decided to do a birthday/welcome back party on our back patio.  A and I spent the afternoon cooking in the kitchen with new music pouring in. We washed and chopped and mixed and cooked…and laughed and talked and stole a few kisses now and then.  Cooking together, especially for other people has become one of our favorite things.  It is amazing how much quicker the time goes when we prep together. I am realizing that it is a very proud moment for me when I am able to put a meal on the table (or floor, in this case) especially for 12 people!  It is also a very proud moment for me when the compost bucket if full at the end of an afternoon in the kitchen.  There is just something really fulfilling about using so many fresh veggies to make a meal.
The afternoon was peppered with returning friends popping over to say hello. The music kept playing and I just really really enjoyed the time.  Truth poured through the house in music form as the perfect autumn air and sunshine found their way in through the window. 
I know it sounds cliché, but yesterday was a good day in M-ville. Pra.ying over this place as we cooked and listened to music, interacting with people, enjoying my family and fellowship.  Even now, it brings tears to my eyes. 
The whole gang assembled for supper that night and we ate and ate. We lingered in the perfect evening air (Little t staying up until almost 9!) and talked and laughed.  People went home and we finished cleaning up the house before being blown away by birthday messages from around the world. We watched a little t.v. and then headed to bed. 
I went to bed with a full heart last night. Today I have reflected on Paul’s words in Philippians 4: 
      "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content, whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I now what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. i can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13
I want to learn how to truly live this out. Most days my heart feels so fickle…prone to sway from happy to despair, from chaos to peace with the slightest whim. But God has really been challenging me to dig deep into Him and learn to be content in all things.  To find beauty in the small things in spite of big uncertainties or fears swirling around me.  
That isn’t always easy in this place. Life is stressful here and there are a lot of unknowns. At times it is easy for me to look at all I have to give up to live this dream. In the pining after more freedom, less stress, better security and ice cream, I miss out on the beautiful that I am surrounded by.  So often my breath is not taken away by my son’s mile long eyelashes or dazzling smile. I forget to breathe in his perfect scent or memorize his giggle. The sacredness of trust and relationship with my husband only grows more beautiful, but how often I take it for granted!  I pass off times to have conversations with angel khAla and really ask how she is doing. I count down the minutes until Little t’s local friends leave and my house can return to peace and quiet instead of embracing the craziness and loving on them.  I worry about security here instead of tucking into Gods wing and allowing myself to flourish in His will in this place that He has called me to. 
I have a lot to learn, but it is good learning.  I look back on this last year of my life very grateful for the joy it has been. I gaze forward in anticipation for the things that God has in store for us.  I have a feeling they won’t be easy, but He is teaching me that His greatest work is done in me when I am at my weakest.  I am learning to be content in that and I can’t think of a better gift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment